Friday, January 23, 2009

A Different Inauguration Story






Yes, I was there for the inauguration. I don't have anything super new to say about the ceremony itself though: it was crowded, it was cold, people were happy, ... I'm sure you have heard all that a thousand times by now.
The only way I can think to come up with something fresh is by telling my personal experience as Obama's "hopeful" campaign was sweeping the country. I'm afraid It starts way before the inauguration.

I believe It starts here:

I was the most skeptical person about Obama's candidature. Of course I knew he was way better than Mccain, but I stubbornly refused to go any further than that. I went to extremes of driving my friends insane right after the election by saying: "he's just another politician. He will steal you a little less than the others, that's all." Yes, I was annoying like that.
You are probably wondering by now what I was doing at the inauguration, why I went there.
Well, let's say I educated myself a lot.
First though, I want to tell a little fact about Brazil's recent history that might serve as an explanation to my stoical skepticism during Obama's campaign.
From the beginning of the 60's until 1985 Brazil suffered under a military dictatorship, marked by violent censorship of any kind of self-expression. It fell in 1985, but it was only in 1989 that that entire generation had the chance to vote and choose their president for the first time. They (the Brazilians who unlike me were not 6 years old) elected Fernando Collor. A young politician, great speaker, without much experience but considered to be a breath of fresh air in a country tired of old governors and their ideas. The country was swept by a wave of hope in the future.
Sadly, the outcome was disastrous. In 1991, in a supposed attempt to reduce the ever growing inflation that was killing the country's economy, Collor confiscated the funds from all the savings accounts. People went to bed with money in their accounts to buy houses, cars, etc etc, and woke up broke, with nothing more than the change they had in their wallets. Ahh, one important detail: not all the people. There was a certain more well-informed circle who managed to transfer all their wealth out of the country right before it happened. Their excuse to such good timing? Luck. And God, of course.
That, added to denounces of corruption and traffic on influence in the government affected his image and soon his popularity hit ground. The streets were filled by raging protesters. The same young people who elected him, now painted their faces with the green and yellow colors of our flag and hit the streets. Shortly after, when Collor's participation in influence peddling was proved by the senate, an impeachment process was opened. He resigned in 1991, right before the impeachment process was finalized by the senate.
This two short years marked Brazilian history profoundly, and I dare-say that after Collor our capacity to believe in politics, and in politicians, was irreparably hurt.

Now, does the Fernando Collor candidate's description ring familiar to you at all? It did to me for a long time.
However, I have no intention whatsoever of comparing Obama and Collor. This entire story is more a justification to why I was reluctant to board the Obamamania than an attempt to draw parallels between both presidents. It didn't take me more than a half-serious on-line research on Obama's background to realize that my concerns were absolutely unfounded. Obama's political views, and his accomplishments in Illinois show that he's not a marketing product, that he has the principles and the courage to lead the US out of the shameful situation it has been in for the last 8 years.
It was with this belief that I headed to DC for the inauguration. I joined the over 2 million people in their hope that Jan. 20th was the first day of a better world. However, even if I wanted to, I can't run from my past. It's reflecting my Brazilian and American experiences that my position about this new times is: let's hope, let's support, and let's watch. Carefully.

5 comments:

  1. You are so on the point. I am so glad you came to the realization that he may be another politician saying the same old things but somehow he empowers us to believe him and to want to make the change. V you are so fierce!! The blog is awesome and so are you.
    Love
    Niko

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written Vanusa! Reading and comprehending the event of Obama's inauguration from your point of view does speak louder than general public. Oh yes, thanks for educating parts of Brazil's political history! =) I look forward to reading MORE of your voyage-ing logs! GO V!!! ^__^

    Only best regards from your NYFA's "chair partner"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was amazed to see that you travel to DC, France and New York in two weeks without any money. How did you do this? Are you dating a congressmen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was amazed to see that you traveled to DC, France and New York in two weeks without any money. How did you do this? Are you dating a congressmen?

    ReplyDelete